Saturday 3 May 2014

Sunshine on the Bay, Cleveland QLD - Crab Mornay and Seafood Bouillabaisse

Another visit to the Sunshine on the Bay restaurant. I have arrived just as they open in the wild hope that they still have a crab mornay. I am in luck. The LAST crab mornay of the season. Hooray! I have had their crab mornay once before and I have fond memories. I wait happily. My husband Philip (with some not-so-subtle prompting) orders the bouillabaisse (seafood stew) from the menu
[ Sunshine on the Bay - interior ]
[ Sunshine on the bay - crab mornay with chips and salad ]

Freshly peeled crab meat blended in sunshine’s famous mornay sauce then 
grilled w/ grated parmesan & paprika. (Seasonal) E 18 SM 25 L 40

My crab mornay is absolutely delicious. The cheesy mornay sauce is morish and complements the crab well. I keep oohing and aahing with every mouth full. Definitely worth the wait.

[ Seafood bouillabaisse ]

The bouillabaisse (seafood soup or stew) was so good that my husband says "I want it again". It contained three different types of fish, squid, prawns and more. All in an unforgettable rich, thick soupy base. Very satisfying. He couldn't eat all the soup so we took some of it home and made it the base of another bouilabaisse the next day. We added prawn stock and simmered prawn meat and vegetables. Delicious.  
[ Sunshine on the Bay - interior  ]
The ambiance is relaxed, with the light filtering in from the balcony. Sunshine on the Bay is located above the Stocklands Cleveland Shopping Centre and there is the view of the other side of Middle Street and passers by.

I finish every skerrick of my crab mornay, sad that it is the last of the season. I will be back when the season starts up again, or even before then.


[ Sunshine on the bay - very sated and sad
 it is the lastcrab mornay of the season ]
We also ordered their coffee kicker dessert which was sinfully delicious, especially the coffee-coated coffee beans. Locally roasted Milano blend Chiasso coffee & Kahlua form the base of this rich brownie delight. Served warm w/ a Tia Maria mascarpone & chocolate coated Chiasso coffee beans.


This isn't our last visit to Sunshine on the Bay, as every visit the food and service is of the highest quality. I can't wait to make our way through their extensive menu. 


Sunshine on the Bay



11:00am - 2:00pm, 5:30pm - 9:00pm


Fiction Bar & Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment