Wednesday 18 March 2015

Baked Ricotta with capers, thyme and Dorsogna triple smoked ham


The first time I tasted baked ricotta cakes was when I was living near the Gourmet Platter store in Corrimal, NSW. Once a week they had tastings of new products and I fell in love with the texture and flavour of their ricotta cakes with ham and capers.

Tonight I decided to make some for Philip and I since he treated me to a round of fresh ricotta. I felt like making something special to say thank you for all the nice things he does for me. I would not be as productive and successful without his support. He does the lion's share of the cooking and cleaning whilst I work on my photography and web design business which I am forever thankful for.

The recipe isn't difficult and you'll be surprised how good it tastes. If you spend the time whipping the egg whites you'll find the texture similar to a souffle - llght and fluffy. As Philip said, "Just close your eyes and enjoy."

Combine one cup of fresh ricotta cheese with the yolks of two eggs, diced capers, fresh thyme leaves, chopped dorsogna triple smoked ham, 1/3 cup of pizza cheese (mozzarella, parmesan and cheddar), salt and pepper. Whisk up the two egg whites and fold into the mixture a nthird at a time until gently combined.

Spoon into buttered ramekins and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 350oF

Serve with a salad such as the mediterranean salad pictured which includes mixed salad greens, marinated kalamata olive, olive oil, garlic, diced tomato, lemon juice, lemon zest and chopped parsley. Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment